GNOME crashing just before it finishes starting a session

William Denton wtd at pobox.com
Wed Jun 27 01:33:39 UTC 2007

I recently upgraded X to 7.2 on one of my boxes and now GNOME and Metacity
crash just in the final stages of starting a session.

I'm running 6.2-STABLE, x.org-7.2, and gnome2-2.18.2_1 (with
gnome2-power-tools). All the GNOME-relevant ports are up to date as of
last night.  X seems to be fine: I can use twm without any trouble and in
the initial stages of running a GNOME session everything looks good, the
resolution is OK, my monitor doesn't start to smoke, nothing bad happens.
GDM works fine and looks just as it did before I upgrade X.  Xorg.log
shows no errors.  The problem comes later.

When I log in from GDM or after using startx, the GNOME splash image shows
up and says it's starting something whose name I miss (icon of two
overlapping windows), then the Panel, then nautilus, then deskbar-applet.
The root window's background colour is set, the menu bar is there, and
some applets are put in place.  So far so good.

I set it up to swallow an xlock, and usually it creates an xclock while
starting the session, just leaves it sitting there, then starts another
xlock instance, swallows it, and I remove the first one by hand.  Right
now, it's crashing before creating the second xlock.  When it crashes, it
may bring down my entire machine and actually turn it right off, which
seems surprisingly vindictive.  There is no useful error output that I can
see.

I tried removing the gnome-swallow, gnome-applets, and deskbar-applet
ports (individually, not all together), and the problem still happened.
I tried starting a Failsafe GNOME session, but it crashed even then.

I don't know exactly what is causing the problem, and I'm not sure how to
narrow it down any more.  Is there some way I can make it step through
each applet and so on while it's making the session?  Can I disable things
from the command-line before starting a session?

If I have to wipe all my GNOME config information, I don't mind too much.
What's the best way to do that?  I moved all the .gnome directories out of
the way as a test, but everything happened as it had before.  Would I need
to wipe .gconf*?

>From rc.conf:

gnome_enable="YES"
#gdm_enable="NO" # For when I tested with startx and not GDM
dbus_enable="YES"
polkitd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

uname -a: FreeBSD sherlock.miskatonic.org 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE
#3: Fri Mar 16 02:04:00 EDT 2007
buff at sherlock.miskatonic.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SHERLOCK  i386

Thanks,

Bill