any clues hy Gnome isn't autobooting?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Jun 6 15:39:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:37:59 -0500, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 09:08:27AM -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 02:09:01 -0500, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org>
>> wrote:

<snip>
>> >	checked the log in /var/log and saw that something  was still
>> >	pointing to /usr/X11R6/bin.  X is now in local.  I thought that
>> >	was fixed... .  Anyway, I de-/re-installed both gnome2 and
>> >	the meta port xorg.
>> >
>> >	Dunno; I just cd'd to usr/local and did a grep -r -w X11R6; there
>> >	are thousands of X11R6 regex's in places.     In
>> >	var/log/debug.log is the following:
>>
>> Does your system has /usr/X11R6 symlink to /usr/local?
>

> 	I ran the shell script in UPDATING; it completed.
> 	Yhere was something strange that I yelped to -questions
> 	about.   After zero replies,, I created to missing symlinks
> 	to some /usr/X11R6/lib/*  and then stuff began working.

If you have some stuff in /usr/X11R6/lib/, then you should reinstall these
to get actually install in /usr/local. Better result is to get /usr/X11R6
-> /usr/local, not random links in /usr/X11R6/lib/*.

> 	Is there a way of checkinf for the zillions of symbolic
> 	links or should I just re-run the script?  ((If/next time
> 	I'll run with /bin/sh -x))

In the /usr/ports/UPDATING explains:

   The final step is to merge remaining files from /usr/X11R6 into
   /usr/local (/usr/X11R6 is no longer used with xorg 7.2) and replace
   /usr/X11R6 with a symlink.

   A script is provided for your convenience (or you may choose to do
   this by hand): it will first attempt to back up your /usr/X11R6 into
   /usr/tmp/mergebase in case something goes wrong, then look for
   conflicts (files in /usr/X11R6 that would overwrite files in
   /usr/local).  Depending on your system configuration you may have to
   resolve some of these conflicts by hand first (if in doubt, ask for
   help on freebsd-x11 at FreeBSD.org).  You may also need to edit the
   script if the default locations are not correct on your system.

[...]

   # sh /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/mergebase.sh

   When the merge operation completes successfully, the /usr/X11R6
   directory hierarchy will be removed and replaced by a symlink to
   /usr/local.  This symlink is necessary because some binary ports (and
   some remaining source ports) have hard-coded references to /usr/X11R6.

If it doesn't do what it is supposed to, talk with
freebsd-x11 at FreeBSD.org. Mine has:

# ls -l /usr/X11R6
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 May 21 13:02 /usr/X11R6@ -> /usr/local

>> >Jun  5 00:04:06 tao2 sshd[18092]: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): nis,
>> >group_compat, endgrent, not found
>> >Jun  5 00:04:06 tao2 sshd[18093]: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): nis,
>> >passwd_compat, endpwent, not found
>> >Jun  5 00:04:19 tao2 ls: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): nis,
>> >passwd_compat, setpwent, not found
>> >Jun  5 00:04:19 tao2 ls: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): nis,
>> group_compat,
>> >setgrent, not found
>> >Jun  5 00:04:21 tao2 ls: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): nis,
>> >passwd_compat, setpwent, not found
>> >Jun  5 00:04:21 tao2 ls: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): nis,
>> group_compat,
>> >setgrent, not found
>> >Jun  5 00:04:39 tao2 su: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): nis,
>> group_compat,
>> >setgrent, not found
>> >Jun  5 00:04:39 tao2 su: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): nis,
>> group_compat,
>> >endgrent, not found
>> >tao2#
>>
>> It looks like you have installed FreeBSD with NO_NIS=yes? If you do,
>> read
>> in nsswitch.conf(5) and it said:
>>
>> NOTES
>>      If system got compiled with NO_NIS you have to remove `nis'
>> entries.
>>

> 	Hmm, I see that Garrett Cooper has NO_NIS=no in /etc/make.conf,
> 	so that should settle that. I've also  grep'd around/etc and
> 	nothing looks suspicious.   --All the nis_* flags are either
> 	NULL or NO.

Above in the NOTES means that you need to remove 'nis' from
/etc/nsswitch.conf. Mine has by default:

==============================
group: compat
group_compat: nis <-- here
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis <-- here
shells: files

> 	(tao//newtao is/will be where I hang out; different with my DNS
> 	box.)
>
> 	Arrrg,me hearties! me still be lost! [1]
>> Cheers,
>> Mezz
>>
> [1] lost andor braindead.   after 4 hours of severe writing my brain
> was gng to explode or shoulder fall off

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org