problem with devel/glib20+COLLATION_FIX=yes+devel/icu+THREADS=yes

Jean-Yves Lefort jylefort at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 25 17:50:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:37:09 +0100
Pav Lucistnik <pav at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Jean-Yves Lefort píše v čt 25. 01. 2007 v 17:13 +0100:
> > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:50:31 +0200
> > Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:
> >
> > > The problem with combination of port devel/glib20 config-ed with
> > > COLLATION_FIX=yes and port devel/icu config-ed with THREADS=yes is that
> > > glib2 pkg-config files are not updated with new dependencies coming from
> > > icu. When icu is built with threads support then icu shared libraries
> > > become dependent on system thread library (libthr/libpthread) and thus
> > > glib20 libraries also become dependent on system thread library (when
> > > COLLATION_FIX=yes). But this dependency is not reflected in pkg-config
> > > --libs.
> > >
> > > [...]
> >
> > This and other similar problems (inability to dlopen() a library using
> > libpthread from a program not using libpthread, etc) is caused of the
> > unfortunate use of -pthread instead of -lpthread in the definition of
> > PTHREAD_LIBS (see the commit message of bsd.port.mk revision 1.499).
> >
> > To fix it, one should revert PTHREAD_LIBS to -lpthread in bsd.port.mk
> > and handle the resulting ports tree chaos.
>
> I thought this can be solved by fixing the stubs in libc ?

That's a prerequisite. Had I read the initial mail slower, I'd have
noticed the libpthread occurrence in the ldd output of libicuuc,
meaning that icu ignores PTHREAD_LIBS and uses -lpthread instead.

--
Jean-Yves Lefort

jylefort at FreeBSD.org
http://lefort.be.eu.org/