nautilus + amd/am-utils is bad news.

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Sun Jan 21 05:09:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

I use the automounter, amd to manage my usb flash drives and the like
into directories in the custom /volume hierarchy. I've also managed to
avoid ever navigating into this hierarchy with nautilus because it
breaks the automounter's ability to umount the filesystem when I'm done
with my flash drive. The symptom is this:

      Mount the flash drive:

            $ ls -l /volume/ufs0

      Navigate to the flashdrive with nautilus and do some work.

      Either wait for the mount to timeout or for it to with amq:

           $ amq -u /volume/ufs0

      At this point nautilus is holding a resource open in /volume/ufs0
and the automounter cannot timeout the mount and umount the flashdrive.
If I suspend my laptop at this time The flashdrive will be umounted
dirty and I will have to fsck it before I can use it again.

Is there any way to tell nautilus that the directory /volume is under
control of the automounter and that it shouldn't be probing/holding
resources open within it after the user stops actively manipulating
things there e.g. closes the nautilus window on /volume/ufs0 or changes
the directory?

-- Chris