[kde-freebsd] Re: HAL related system crash

Simon Barner barner at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 11 07:44:59 PST 2007

> > Looks like you somehow managed to remove the media before the filesystem
> > could be unmounted.
> >
> >> #7  0xc0469cc6 in g_io_request (bp=0xc5b1dc60, cp=0xc61c5e40) at /usr/src/sys/geom/geom_io.c:275
> >>         pp = (struct g_provider *) 0x0
> >> #8  0xc046c21d in g_vfs_strategy (bo=0x1, bp=0xd90a8738) at /usr/src/sys/geom/geom_vfs.c:106
> >>         cp = (struct g_consumer *) 0xc61c5e40
> >>         bip = (struct bio *) 0x1
> >
> > I'm no expert but isn't hal supposed to prevent you from ejecting the
> > media before unmount is completed?
>
> We removed forced-unmounting functionality due to FreeBSD bugs.  We
> document that on the list of GNOME known issues.  That said, unmounting
> CD-ROMs via Nautilus in GNOME has never triggered a panic for me.  Maybe
> KDE is doing something illegal.

FYI: I could not reproduce the above panic. I'll give it a try a few more
times during the next days, but it might as well have been a hardware
error (although the CD-R in question doesn't look too bad), and after all,
it's a FreeBSD installation disk ;-)

In case there's something new, I'll keep you posted.

--
Best regards / Viele Grüße,                             barner at FreeBSD.org
 Simon Barner                                                barner at gmx.de