[kde-freebsd] Re: HAL related system crash

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 10 09:25:26 PST 2007

Michael Nottebrock píše v st 10. 01. 2007 v 18:07 +0100:

> I suppose this really is, for now, a case of "don't do that". It's pretty
> similar to just unplugging USB-storage devices, FreeBSD doesn't cope. I am a
> bit surprised the drives aren't getting locked at all, but even if they were,
> it wouldn't really solve the problem for a number of laptop drives, which
> often don't have a lockable tray.
>
> That said, I think an on-eject event does trickle back up from dbus, so maybe
> the drives are actually locked, but unlocked as soon as someone presses the
> eject button. For me (on 5.5), pressing the eject button on the drive just
> crashes kded, regardless whether the volume is mounted or not. I haven't
> heard that reported from anyone else yet, so I suspect it might be a
> 5.x-specific issue.

In GNOME, pressing the eject button on the drive does unmount the media
and eject the tray. So the event gets to HAL, gets to GNOME, and GNOME
acts on it.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>