How to restart HAL on FreeBSD-6.2-Stable?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Feb 21 00:24:39 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 06:44:55 -0600, Stacey Roberts
<stacey at vickiandstacey.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>      Forgive me if this is an already answered question, but what
> *exactly* is the procedure
> for restarting HAL on FreeBSD+Gnome?
>
> I've tried searching the FAQ's at
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html, as well as
> Google, but other than the well mentioned "service haldaemon restart" on
> linux forums, I at ve
> not found any references to the exact cmd to use for FreeBSD.

Do you know about rc(8)? If no, then you should read it.

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald
Usage: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald
[fast|force|one](start|stop|restart|rcvar|status|poll)
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald status
hald is running as pid 56146.

I think, you might have to exit desktop before try to restart it. Or maybe
just restart desktop or maybe none of either.

> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stacey

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org