Helper applications for Firefox

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Feb 13 21:04:15 UTC 2007

I am having trouble specifying helper apps for firefox.

If I select "Browse..." and select /usr, I get a list of directories,
but "local" is not listed. The list does include directories which are
not (and never have been) present on the system. I see X11R6, bin, doc,
etc, games, include, kerberos, lib, libexec, sbin, share, src, and
tmp. Actually present are:
X11R6/          games/          lib/            local/          sbin/
bin/            home/           libdata/        obj/            share/
compat/         include/        libexec/        ports/          src/

compat, home, libdata, local, obj and ports are missing from the firefox
list, but it adds doc, kerberos, and tmp. Any idea where these come
from? Is there something saved somewhere?

And, when I open X11R6/bin, there are no files shown.

Other Gnome apps (and I understand that Firefox is not REALLY a Gnome
app) don't seem to behave like this.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)