Gdm and user localization

Marcin Wisnicki mwisnicki+freebsd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 10:35:41 PDT 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:21:44 +0200, Alberto Rizzi wrote:

> Marcin Wisnicki ha scritto:

>>> This doesn't work and I didn't find any documentation about it in the
>>> FreeBSD world, but only under Suse and other linux distro
>>>

>> Look into /usr/local/sbin/gdm, it's a shell script.
>>
>> It sources /etc/profile and then if LANG is still unset it will
>> evaluate /etc/sysconfig/languages as value of LANG.
>>
>> Both ways work for me.
>>
> I did a mistake. I put LANG=it_IT.ISO8859-15 instead of it_IT.ISO8859-15
> in language file but it still doesn't work
>
> #cat /etc/sysconfig/language
> it_IT.ISO8859-15

that should be:

echo it_IT.ISO8859-15

> #ls -l /etc/sysconfig/language
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  17 31 Aug 19:07 /etc/sysconfig/language
>
> I'm trying to debug the script but I don't know nothing about sh script
> What does this mean?
>      LANG=`. /etc/sysconfig/language; echo $RC_LANG`

". /etc/sysconfig/language" sources that file (includes its content in
place of dot)

Commands contained within backticks "`" are executed and replaced with
their output.

So in this case it will execute contents of /etc/sysconfig/language
(hence the need of "echo") then execute "echo $RC_LANG".

Output of this will be assigned to variable LANG.

So from the look of it there is also a third option to localize gdm by
setting RC_LANG in /etc/profile.