Gnumeric Crashes

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 3 23:41:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 19:30 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:
> Thanks for trying.
>
> Is there some kind of Valgrind/Purify lookalike for FreeBSD that you could
> try?  Or a malloc checker?

We do have a built-in malloc checker that can be enabled by
symlinking /etc/malloc.conf to "AJ":

ln -sf AJ /etc/malloc.conf

This will cause all memory regions to be junk-filled upon allocation and
deallocation, and trigger an abort() if memory is accessed improperly.
There is also a valgrind port for FreeBSD, but it does not work well
with threaded programs :-(.

> > Are there any other ways to reproduce it (other than entering
> > "=sin(42)+min(12,23)" and quitting, I mean) or any other info that I can
> > provide?

> might be useful.  I don't know what triggers the crash -- the sin/min thing
> is sure to trigger the dynamic library unloading, though.
>
> What libgsf version, btw.?

We just updated our ports tree libgsf to 1.14.5.  Note: I cannot
reproduce either with Gnumeric 1.7.11 on FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE.

> I don't know if it is relevant, but several of the crash reports have
> been from Japan.

I tried a ja locale, and I still can't get it to crash.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome