gdm and Xclient

Bill Smith bill at rakupottery.org.uk
Sat Apr 28 11:09:09 UTC 2007

Bill Smith wrote:
> Another problem with my newly installed gnome setup, if I enable gdm it
> complains that "this system has no Xclients file, putting you into a
> failsafe terminal session", I have never seen that before and it is a
> little annoying, I have done a google on Xclient and not really come up
> with anything useful, except a lot of comments verifying what I am seeing.
> So my question is how can I set up an Xclient to satisfy gdm's desire,
> and what did I miss to get this in the first place?
> Cheers

Just a followup to myself, a file .xsession-errors has appeared in my
home directory containing
gdmflexiserver: not found
gdmflexiserver: not found
/usr/local/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with
wtmp and utmp
/usr/local/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg
-a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l
":0" "bill"
/usr/local/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
If other operating systems have damaged your Master Boot Record, you can
reinstall it either with /usr/sbin/sysinstall or with boot0cfg(8). See
"man boot0cfg" for details.
Does this shed any light on the problem
And yes there is an Xsession file in /usr/local/etc/gdm

cheers

--
Bill