Gnome-settings-daemon problem under gnome 2.18

Trigve Siver trigves at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 10:39:10 UTC 2007

Hi
I have update gnome to gnome 2.18. I'm using FreeBSD 6.2 with Xorg 7.2 with X11BASE set to /usr/local. When I try to log in gnome the message window with this message popup:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
 blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

output from /var/log/messages:

Apr 18 12:17:33 pentium4 seahorse-agent[1677]: DNS-SD initialization failed: Dae
mon not running
Apr 18 12:17:33 pentium4 seahorse-agent[1677]: Failed to send buffer
Apr 18 12:17:33 pentium4 seahorse-agent[1677]: Failed to send buffer

Once I'm logged in, desktop is useless because there are no icons on panel and I can do nothing.
When I logged in as a root, the message still appears
 but icons on the panel are ok and I can use it.

Anyone know where could be the problem?

thanks

Trigve

 Check out