gnome-mount unmount problem

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Mon Apr 16 10:58:14 UTC 2007

Hi again...

While I've experienced trouble with gnome-mount, I probably shot
myself into the foot (or have found another gnome-mount bug?).

When logging into gdm, gnome-mount is mounting all volumes it can
find (can this be configured in any way?). When trying to unmount
such an automounted volume, I'm getting:

gnome-mount --no-ui --block --unmount --verbose --device
/dev/label/xchange
gnome-mount 0.6
libhal-storage.c 1330 : INFO: called LIBHAL_FREE_DBUS_ERROR but
dbusError was not set.
** (gnome-mount:1402): DEBUG: Unmounting
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_DB29_8A68
** (gnome-mount:1402): DEBUG: Setting up 750ms timer for Flushing
Cache dialog
** (gnome-mount:1402): DEBUG: in unmount_done : user_data = 0x0

** (gnome-mount:1402): WARNING **: Unmount failed for
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_DB29_8A68:
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.PermissionDenied : Volume mounted
by uid UNKNOWN cannot be unmounted by uid 1001.

This is the same with any automounted volume (either FAT, NTFS). I'm
always getting "...mounted by uid UNKNOWN...".

Unmounting these gnome automounted volumes as root, gives me the
chances to manually mount and unmount them properly from the panel.
These mounts are really done by gnome, as I've checked the mount
status before logging into gdm.

Last week while trying to find a solution for the gnome-mount NTFS
problem, I've changed polkitd and hal permissions to
Allow=gid:operator but AFAIR this has been the only change. As there
are not many settings for HAL, polkit and gnome-mount, I'm not quite
sure if this is my mistake or if it's a bug.

Any hints on how to hunt this?

Ports + system is recent, 6-STABLE.

Thanks,

Volker

%id
uid=1001(vwerth) gid=1001(puser)
groups=1001(puser),0(wheel),5(operator),1002(user)
%pkg_info | grep mount
gnome-mount-0.6_2   A front-end to mount, umount, and eject using HAL
gnome-volume-manager-2.17.0_3 Automatically mount removable media,
and more

PS: If you need another `lshal' or any other output, please drop me
a note.