Major 2.18 Issues...

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Apr 13 21:09:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 08:23 -0700, Frank Jahnke wrote:
> I have had a great deal of trouble with the upgrade to 2.18.  Printing
> does not work reliably in Abiword or Gnumeric and I cannot access any of
> the admin functions from within Gnome.

You need to add either gnome_enable="YES" or
system_tools_backends_enable="YES" to have a prayer with the Admin
tools.  Even then, they are sorely needing some work to make them play
well with FreeBSD.

> So I rebuilt the entire system, starting with the kernel and world.  I
> deleted Gnome by the method mentioned in the FAQ, and reinstalled it,
> X11, and all of the gtk applications.  Unfortunately the problems
> remain.  I am now on 2.18.1 and 6.2-R-p3; all ports are up-to-date.
>
> I use CUPS to print from a print server, and cups-lpr has always worked
> in the past.  It does work on every application other than Abiword and
> Gnumeric (that I have tested since the rebuild, at least).  The print
> preview is erratic -- it works sometimes and not others.  I am unable to
> set page margins in Gnumeric, and printing always crashes.

I have no problems printing from Gnumeric or AbiWord.  Print Preview
also seems to work reliably for me.  But I don't use CUPS.  It looks
like you're not using cups-lpr, but libgnomeprint is providing the CUPS
printing support.  Looks like there might be a problem with
libgnomeprint and CUPS.  If you get real crashes, you will have to
follow the procedure at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html
to get a useful backtrace.