gettext error

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 7 06:38:11 UTC 2007

On Apr 06, 2007, at 22:52 , Vijay Patel ((NewsLetters)) wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I was also facing similar problem. & As per discussion of this
> thread, its because, I am using FreeBSD 5.2 with latest
> ports.tar.gz (As I am at remote location, FreeBSD upgrade is not
> possible for me).
>     Here is how I solved problem of gettext.

Here's the background.

gettext-0.16.1 is now threads aware.  In its current form, the port
is indeed slightly broken, something that didn't come up during build
and gnome-devel testing, and nork@ has kindly provided me with a patch.

However, I have received isolated reports that the threaded-gettext
is causing edge case issues with other ports.

So, I am faced with something of a dilemma, since PORTREVISION will
be bumped in either case (yes folks, y'all get to rebuild stuff,
consider it a worldwide thrash-test of compilers ;)

1.  Make devel/gettext respect PTHREAD_LIBS, and leave the threading
in place
2.  Disable threading entirely

I'm open to either option here, and have taken the liberty of cc'ing
the GNOME and KDE folks since they're very large consumers.

-aDe