gdm help please...

Norbert Augenstein norbert at augenstein.net
Thu Sep 7 04:41:57 PDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 06:11:19PM -0400, Jeffrey Racine wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am running releng 6.1 with gnome 2.12 on my notebook. I was
> experiencing problems with gnome 2.14 due likely to multiple
> portupgrades over the past year some of which did not go smoothly. One
> symptom was that gdm was no longer working (I do have gdm_enable="YES"
> in my rc.conf etc.). Therefore, I decided this morning to remove all
> ports and do a quick reinstall of gnome via pkg_add -r gnome2 which
> installed gnome 2.12. All appears to be working except gdm still does
> not work. There is nothing in any log file in /var/log to help,
> and /var/log/gdm is empty. I can run gdm manually as root
> with /usr/X11R6/sbin/gdm, it just does not want to come up at boot time
> for me for some odd reason.
>
> Any suggestion as to where to begin debugging would be most welcome. I
> have spent hours to no avail.
>
> Many thanks for your help and suggestions.
>
> -- Jeff

    Hi Jeff,

    i guess its because the starting scripts have changed in 6.1, latest
    gdm insalls /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm
    make sure all gdm.sh scrips are gone, an update of your
    ports-tree would be a good idea i think.
    Today the GNOME-Porject released 2.16 you may give it a try when
    it enters ports in the near future.
    BTW 2.14 is significaly snappier than 2.12

    --> auge
--
 1:30PM  up 56 mins, 1 user, load averages: 0.03, 0.01, 0.00