[kde-freebsd] Re: Conflict between KDE and GNOME in a prefix...

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Sep 1 05:16:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 23:24 -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:09:37 -0500, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:26:00 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke
> > <marcus at marcuscom.com> wrote:

> >> mezz could probably better answer this.  They should be comparable since
> >> we're using the same xdg stuff.
> > <snip>
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/menu/
> >
> > Both KDE and GNOME applications.menu are in ~mezz/menu/, so you can
> > compare the difference. We can either merge both of applications.menu
> > into one or try to rename applications.menu to
> > (kde|gnome)-applications.menu. I am not sure about <MergeFile>
> > stuff...so.. What I have in my mind is something like this below, but I
> > have no idea if it will working. If that don't work, then do either
> > merge into one or hack all apps for rename of applications.menu.
>
> It doesn't work, I tried to play with it for about two hours and still no
> luck with <MergeFile>. Either I need to learn more or it is limited.
> However, it looks like that leave us two choices:
>
> 	1) Rename both of applications.menu and hack
> 	   in the ports to teach them about the new
> 	   name.
> 	2) Create our own applications.menu that will
> 	   working for the general desktop.

I think option 2 would be best as who knows how much future hacking will
be required if we rename the files.  I was also poking around NetBSD and
Gentoo to see how they handle this.  These menu files are substantially
different enough to cause some problems.  I wonder if there is a better
solution that we're missing.  Does anyone have any insight into what
other platforms are doing?