Patch to add more GEOM support to hal

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 25 18:14:00 UTC 2006

Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:23:44 -0400
> Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> If you currently use a lot of different GEOM classes, and have noticed
>> some strange hal-related behavior in GNOME when it comes to mounting
>> disks, or seeing icons for RAID members on the desktop, try the
>> following patch for sysutils/hal:
>>
>> http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/patch-geom
>>
>> This patch removes libdisk usage from hal, and replaces it with pure
>> GEOM configuration parsing.  I'm interested in getting all feedback.
>> The idea is to fix any GEOM-related volume problems without introducing
>> anything new.  So if something feels worse after this patch, definitely
>> let me know.
>
> - What are these GEOM problems?
>
> - Memory leak:
>
>          fields = g_strsplit(lines[i], " ", 0);
>   -      if (g_strv_length(fields) >= 3 && ! strcmp(fields[1], "DISK"))
>   +      if (g_strv_length(fields) < 3)
>   +        continue;
>
> - Don't forget to remove -ldisk from Makefile.am
>
> - Why these explicit conversions?
>
>   +	  sibling_geom = g_hash_table_lookup(hf_storage_geom_hash,
>   +                                             (gconstpointer) sibling->data);
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>   +          geom_obj->mediasize = (guint64) strtoumax(fields[3], (char **) NULL, 10);
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^                      ^^^^^^^^^
>
>   (and so on)

Okay, new patch is up with everything but the indent style problems
taken care of.  Note: the hf-volume changes may no longer be needed.
That was from a previous revision.  I will test with that bit out, and
see if labels are still handled correctly.

Joe

- --
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome