Patch to add more GEOM support to hal

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 25 18:07:23 UTC 2006

Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:23:44 -0400
> Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> If you currently use a lot of different GEOM classes, and have noticed
>> some strange hal-related behavior in GNOME when it comes to mounting
>> disks, or seeing icons for RAID members on the desktop, try the
>> following patch for sysutils/hal:
>>
>> http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/patch-geom
>>
>> This patch removes libdisk usage from hal, and replaces it with pure
>> GEOM configuration parsing.  I'm interested in getting all feedback.
>> The idea is to fix any GEOM-related volume problems without introducing
>> anything new.  So if something feels worse after this patch, definitely
>> let me know.
>
> - What are these GEOM problems?

Virtual GEOM classes like LABEL, MIRROR, GELI, etc. are not handled
correctly.  libdisk doesn't understand these.  Consequently, people see
mirror elements as mountable volumes on the desktop (for example).
However, these volumes cannot be mounted.

> - Memory leak:
>
>          fields = g_strsplit(lines[i], " ", 0);
>   -      if (g_strv_length(fields) >= 3 && ! strcmp(fields[1], "DISK"))
>   +      if (g_strv_length(fields) < 3)
>   +        continue;

Thanks, I'll fix that.

> - Don't forget to remove -ldisk from Makefile.am

I'll fix that as well.  The patch is not complete.  I still have style
issues.  I just wanted to get it tested in more environments.

> - Why these explicit conversions?
>
>   +	  sibling_geom = g_hash_table_lookup(hf_storage_geom_hash,
>   +                                             (gconstpointer) sibling->data);
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>   +          geom_obj->mediasize = (guint64) strtoumax(fields[3], (char **) NULL, 10);
>
>   (and so on)

Just being pedantic.  They are not needed.  I'll take care of them in my
style sweep.

Joe

- --
Joe Marcus Clarke