configuring hal, policykit, dbus and gnome

Sir Dice sirdice at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 10:45:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 6-stable and just installed GNOME 2.16.
I have a few issues with HAL, PolicyKit and DBus.. All three are started at
boottime using switches in rc.conf.

I have lots of volumes on my desktop and I want to hide some but not all. I
also want to change "10 GB Volume" i.e. into something more informative.

Where to find information on how to configure this? A google search only
shows hits about USB sticks, cdrom drives etc. I tried to edit/add different
fdi files but none seem to work. Is there a howto I could use? What's the
order all of the different files are used? There are several locations and
I'm not sure where to add/modify things for the best results. Also if I
change some things how can I tell hal to reload the configfiles? It seems I
can only test this by rebooting my machine.. And even then some of the
changes don't seem to "stick".

Hal-device-manager works but I can only read the configuration, changing any
of the options doesn't work (eventhough the interface allows editting).

TIA

Remko C.