sol crashes after 2.14 -> 2.16 upgrade (done the portupgrade -a)

Ted Faber faber at ISI.EDU
Wed Oct 18 18:59:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:51:35PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Ted Faber wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I've followed the directions in UPDATING to move from 2.14  -> 2.16 and
> > something seems to be messed up.  There are a couple apps not working,
> > but the easiest to isolate was /usr/local/bin/sol (freecell) crashing
> > as soon as you click on a card.
>
> I cannot reproduce on my -CURRENT system.  Since the backtrace does not
> contain any debugging symbols, it's hard to see exactly why freecell is
> crashing.  However, you might try the following as root:
>
> ln -sf aj /etc/malloc.conf
>
> And see if that helps.

That fixes sol all right.  Something's not being initialized.  Thanks
for the workaround.  Is this worth a bugreport to gnome itself?  It
sounds like an initialization error in real code.

Can you try the reverse on your -CURRENT ln -s AJ /etc/malloc.conf and
see if it fails for you? (or have you already?)

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc