GNOME 2.16 upgrade -- lost remote logins and sessions

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Tue Oct 17 04:00:02 UTC 2006

Hello,

I upgraded to GNOME 2.16 today on my i386 UNP 6.1-STABLE box.  I
followed /usr/ports/UPDATING and all went well using the instructions.

The problems I'm experiencing are as follows:

GNOME no longer lists the sessions I've created in /usr/X11R6/etc/dm/Sessions/

drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Oct 16 22:39 RCS
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  185 Sep 13 11:14 WindowMaker.desktop
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  185 Oct 16 22:38 XFCE.desktop

and gdm no longer accepts remote connections, even though it did before
the upgrade and I've used the GUI to enable remote logins several times.
Also, it appears that somehow in the upgrade process my XFCE.desktop
session file was deleted.  I don't know why WindowMaker wasn't deleted
too.

Another curious thing...  I use the GUI to enable remote logins, search
the filesystem under /usr/X11R6, and find no changes have been written
to the filesystem.

Any tips, pointers, suggestions are welcome :)

--

Regards,
Doug