gdm 2.16.1 graphical greeter / configuration-screen crash (CURRENT)

P.U.Kruppa ulrich at pukruppa.net
Mon Oct 9 08:44:06 PDT 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Jacek Lukas Wotka wrote:

> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>> On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 08:49 +0200, Jacek Lukas Wotka wrote:
>>> hi
>>>
>>> i get gdm/xserver crashes when trying to enter the configuration-screen in
>>> gdm. old configs with enabled graphical greeter produce xserverrestarts
>>> with standard greeter enabled.
>>>
>>> FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #1: Mon Oct  2 15:41:46 CEST 2006
>>>
>>> any ideas or any other information needed for that?
>>
>> Others have reported this problem as well.  I recommend building gdm
>> with debugging symbols, then setting the following two sysctls:
>>
>> kern.coredump
>> kern.sugid_coredump
>>
>> And get a full backtrace from the crash.
>>
>> Joe
>>

> ok, can you explain this in detail? (especially the "get a full backtrace",
> not the previous stuff)
From
 	http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/develfaq.html

In order to help with bug reports, be sure to add the following
to /etc/make.conf so that gdb back traces contain useful
information:
CFLAGS=    -O -g -pipe
STRIP=

For getting backtraces, see
 	http://live.gnome.org/GettingTraces
(Might be a nice idea to put this link on develfaq.html !?)

Greetings,

Uli.

Peter Ulrich Kruppa
Wuppertal