Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

Tim Welch twelch at thepentagon.org
Thu May 18 19:12:20 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 12:25 pm, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:44:06 +0200
>> From: "Lars Stokholm" <lars.stokholm at gmail.com>
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>>

>> On 18/05/06, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The gnome-power-manager only exist in MC, because I think it required
>>> HAL=
>>>
>> .
>>

>> MC? HAL? Anyway... If that simply means it's of reach for me, my
>> original question still stands: During the install of the gnome2-lite
>> port, I was asked if I would like to replace gnome-screensaver with
>> xscreensaver (I think it sounded like that). I didn't, but I'd like to
>> now. How is it done?
>
> As I read it, you need to:
> pkg_delete -f gnome-screensaver-2.14.1_1 pkg_delete -f
> xscreensaver-gnome-hacks-4.24_1 portinstall xscreensaver-gnome pkgdb -Ff
>
> The last may not be required, but you probably do need to correct
> some dependencies from gnome-screensaver to xscreensaver-gnome. In any
> case, it won't hurt anything. --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman at es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Kevin's suggestion will work, with one caveat. Ports such as vlc which
disable the screensaver still try to run gnome-screensaver-command instead
of xscreensaver-command to disable it. Rebuilding those ports should fix
it, or since they seem to be syntax compatible a symlink will do the
trick. (Yes, I know, don't do that, but it beats playing the guessing game
at which ports will use gnome-screensaver-command)

Could we possibly go back to xscreensaver as default until power
management features are fully supported?  I for one was highly annoyed to
find that my LCD stayed on all day after upgrading gnome. It's usually set
to power off the backlight as soon as xscreensaver activates.

-Tim