2.14, wnck-applet, kernel spin

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue May 9 16:22:58 UTC 2006

> From: Mike Harding <mvh at ix.netcom.com>
> Date: Tue,  9 May 2006 05:29:05 -0700 (PDT)
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>

> On every machine I have tried 2.14 on so far, wnck-applet seems to
> spin up to 100% cpu, and much of the activity seems to be in the
> kernel.  The UI locks up for several seconds - one way to get this to
> happen is to open up a new tab on gnome-terminal.
>
> If I kill wnck-applet, and restart the killed applets when the
> "... has quit unexpectedly" windows pop up, it seems to behave much
> better thereafter.  The behavior returns once I start a new gnome
> session, however...
>
> Any ideas?  Anyone else seeing this?

I have seen this with 12.2. It seemed to be tied to starting stuff in my
session. In particular, ssh-add seemed likely to trigger it. I have no
idea what is causing it.

I am now rebuilding all gnome2 dependencies to fix the slow response
issue. That might fix this one, too.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)