Very slow screensaver with 2.14

Vladimir Grebenschikov vova at fbsd.ru
Thu May 4 06:49:42 UTC 2006

В ср, 03/05/2006 в 15:01 -0700, Kevin Oberman пишет:
> The new gnome-screensaver in 2.14 is unbelievably slow. On my 1GHz
> system it takes over 20 seconds to bring up the password window. I can't
> imagine what it is doing all of this time. The screen un-blanks and the
> cursor appears almost instantly, but it just sits there at that
> point. On my 2GHz system, it 'only' takes about 6 seconds and my
> Athlon-64x2 4400+ even takes about 4 seconds.
>
> Anyone have any idea what is going on? Waiting 22 seconds is simply
> painful!

I have same problem, It incredible slow when there is some other
activity (buildworld in background for example).

Looks like it requires too much pages to show input window, and all
theses pages thrown out while other activity and then loaded too slow.

I guess gdb will not help here, but I will try anyway.

Contrary, I xscreensaver popup password window relatively quick even
when there is heavy activity on machine.

I have Centrino 1.7 GHz with 512 Mb RAM ...

PS:
Sometimes I start panic while whiting screen-save window.

--
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
vova at fbsd.ru