Suggested mod for gnome_upgradeXXX.sh

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sun Mar 19 17:35:42 UTC 2006

We will be no longer need gnome_upgradeXXX.sh in the future version of
GNOME. Bless to the ltverhack that fix libtool bug. Upgrade GNOME 2.12 to
2.14 (still in MC) was a lot easier than any previous version, which it
can be done with portupgrade now. About four to five steps to do it.
Here's what I did with GNOME 2.12 to 2.14:

	pkgdb -Ff (need for gst stuff)
	portupgrade -f -o net/avahi howl-\*
	portupgrade -a
	portupgrade -f -o x11/gnome-screensaver xscreensaver-gnome-\*

The steps might be change if there is any better. Like might be best to
follow UPDATING before do the portupgrade -a.

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:16:16 -0600, Tuc at T-B-O-H <ml at t-b-o-h.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During STAGE 2 you are portupgrading all of the external dependencies.
> The
> problem I have is sometimes some of what it wants to upgrade are things
> that either aren't as simple as a "portupgrade" (perl for example) or
> things that I don't care to be on the bleeding edge of (nvidia
> drivers).
>
> What I personally did to stop it was wrote the ${external_list} to a
> temp file, invoke vi on the file, and then feed a cat of that to the
> run_portupgrade.
>
> I was wondering if maybe in the future something like this might be
> added. Right now my file has 153 items in it to start, and after I
> pulled out everything I didn't think or want to be upgraded it ended
> up to be 124 items. I'm not sure a "Do you want to upgrade devel/pcre
> (Y/N)"
> would be appropriate, so not sure the best way to go about it.
>
> 		Thanks, Tuc

FreeBSD GNOME Team