Error with libxklavier (xorg 6.9, gnome 2.12, freebsd 6.0)

Hans Nieser hans at nieser.net
Mon Jan 30 10:16:22 PST 2006

Dimitris Rizopoulos wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have seen this reported before but if anyone has a solution, please help!
>
> I start Gnome 2.12 on my FreeBSD 6.0 with the latest ports installed and I get a window telling me:
>
> http://www.aphax.nl/images/xkb-gnome-error.png
>
> (I am attaching the same link, as I have exactly the same error window as Hans Nieser)
>
> (It says error possible bug in libxklavier or xorg to cut a long story short, if you have problems accessing the above link).
>
> Xorg is 6.9.0
>
> The gnome system has become extremely slow at times (mostly when opening applications), and keyboard switching from english to greek and vice versa does not work (as I suspected that it wouldn't).
>
> Any ideas? (I have updated my ports tree just the day before yesterday, and it took me one day (yesterday) to rebuild gnome (2nd time) to get the same unpleasant result...
>
> Please help.
>
> Dimitris.

For a short period I also had issues with my keyboard layout again (first
in 6.8.2, where that image is from, and then in Xorg 6.9.0), forcing my
layout through xorg.conf resulted in that same error. However it seems
that the problem has now solved itself somehow. (If you want I can tell
you exactly what keyboard-related settings I use now in my xorg.conf and
gconf.)

I *do*  however suffer from the problem with applications starting up
slowly, I do not seem to have this in KDE (unless KDE is just generally
faster than gnome). This is a mostly a clean installation of FreeBSD 6.0
with Xorg 6.9 with Gnome 2.12 on FreeBSD 6.0. This is the exact order in
which I installed my system: FreeBSD 6.0, upgraded to the latest
RELENG_6_0 (security updates), Xorg 6.8.2, Gnome 2.12.2, upgraded Xorg to
6.9. (6.8.2 was installed mere hours before 6.9 was committed =/ ).

I've also benchmarked my harddisk to be sure it wasn't causing the delay,
and it seemed to perform ok (unfortunately I forgot the exact command with
which I did it, so I can't give you any numbers at the moment).