Does Mozilla trunk build successfully on FreeBSD?

Wan-Teh Chang wtchang at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 20:45:36 PST 2006

glennrp at imagemagick.org wrote:
> The patch worked.  When it got to the crash-place, instead I got
> "Generating Key Pair ...." then a minute or so pause, then the build
> finished.

Thanks.  It's time to file a bug report.  Could you do
that?

Product: NSS.  Component: Libraries.  Version: 3.11.

Cc: nelson at bolyard.com,rrelyea at redhat.com,julien.pierre.bugs at sun.com,
mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com

Please include the output of the following commands:

uname -a
gcc -v
ld -v
ld -V

Please include the stack traces from the core files.
Get the stack trace like this:

gdb <pathname of shlibsign> <pathname of core file>

Mikhail reported that he can build NSS 3.11 using
FreeBSD's ports system successfully.  I am wondering
why.

Finally, please do another experiment.

1. Back out the patch to mozilla/security/nss/lib/freebl/Makefile
that I asked you to try earlier.

2. Edit mozilla/security/coreconf/FreeBSD.mk.  Replace the following
lines near the end of the file:

  ifdef MAPFILE
  # Add LD options to restrict exported symbols to those in the map file
  endif
  # Change PROCESS to put the mapfile in the correct format for this
platform
  PROCESS_MAP_FILE = cp $< $@

by:

  ifdef MAPFILE
          MKSHLIB += -Wl,--version-script,$(MAPFILE)
  endif
  PROCESS_MAP_FILE = grep -v ';-' $< | \

3. cd to the appropriate directory and then do
"gmake realclean" and "gmake".  (You are right, NSS
requires GNU make.)

Thanks,
Wan-Teh