Urgent: Can't type in gdm after system upgrade

Jean-Yves Lefort jylefort at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 10 01:39:03 PST 2006

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:52:32 +0100
Jürgen Dankoweit <Juergen.Dankoweit at T-Online.de> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:11:15 -0800 (PST)
> "Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum" <bg271828 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > And im happy that i can use my computer again! But i am still worried
> > about the solution. Whats wrong that caused this in the first place?
>
> Let me speculate - I must speculate because I didn't have the time to
> look deeper in the system: the ttys aren't completely initialized but
> but it is "told" to every other startup script which waits on ttys that
> it everything is initialized.
>
> > Is
> > this a kluge that will get messed up hte next time i change anything?
> > The instructions say to use gdm_enable to start gdm and i dont want
> > to be doing anything wrong.
>
> No there is no wrong thing. Let me say: under UNIX we have the great
> chance to find for one problem many solutions which all work.
> I hope the new and the old rc-system will coexist a long time.
>
> I my eyes the new rc-system has a great disadvantage: If you want to
> test a new daemon-process you either have to restart the operating
> system or you have to set all variables on the command line and then you
> can test the daemon.

Or you can prefix arguments with "force":

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/foo.sh forcestart
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/foo.sh forcestop

Jean-Yves Lefort

jylefort at FreeBSD.org