ports/91230: firefox hang on gmail

Simon Barner barner at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 3 02:53:17 PST 2006

le chapelain germain wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR ports/91230; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: le chapelain germain <lechapelaing at yahoo.fr>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: ports/91230: firefox hang on gmail
> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 10:22:17 +0100 (CET)
>
>  Hi
>
>  Here is more information, the problem occur when I
>  compile firefox using the flag -ffast-math.
>
>  If it is of any help, here is the kind of message I
>  receive using that flag and output..
>
>  So my guess is the fix is : don't use -ffast-math.

Yes. It is generally a bad idea to use custom CFLAGS in ports. While many things
may work, others will break in spectacular (or even worse: subtle) ways.

So, just stick to the defaults and you should be fine. I even doubt that you will
gain a measurable performance increase for most applications. On a desktop system,
the only interesting things might be multimedia applications, but many of them
(e.g. mplayer) provide a WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS option, that enable a safe set of
extra flags...

--
Best regards / Viele Grüße,                             barner at FreeBSD.org
 Simon Barner                                                barner at gmx.de