Libsoup broke (part deux)

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Jan 2 22:14:48 PST 2006

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:50:44 -0600, Donald Byrd <don at tig.org> wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> You forgot to copy gnome at freebsd.org ;)
>
>> Don't want to upgrade system and trying to use new stuff from ports are
>> the most common that cause apps can't be build in our list. So, yes, we
>> are expecting for user to upgrade apps first.
>
> *ALL* apps? Not going to happen. A small machine like a P2 or P3 500mhz
> takes HOURS or even DAYS to build GNOME2 and dependencies. You also have
> consider all the 'config' prompts that come up waiting for a reply. That
> adds a lot of time to the building process if you are not on top of
> things.
>
> Doing a 'portupgrade -a' would upgrade everything installed in the
> system.
> Hundreds of ports could be upgraded. This might actually expose you to
> new
> bugs in unrelated ports. Not only is it unreasonable to expect a user to
> do
> this, it is downright *dangerous* and *irresponsible* to ask a normal
> user
> to do that. After all, if the ports were so perfect and safe, the user
> wouldn't be reporting a port problem in the first place.
>
> I understand the need to know if the user is installing the latest and
> greatest, so if you are going to go that route I suggest doing
> 'portupgrade
> -rR <port>' instead.

Sounds like you should be use package, not ports tree, for those slow
machines.

>> Hours have never happened to me before, they usually come up fast unless
>> the error is very unique.
>
> Ever notice that when you are super familiar with a subject, searching
> is so
> much easier? Many normal users wouldn't know what to search on, and
> wouldn't
> know what to do with the answer when they got it.

I don't have to be "super" familiar with any subject to search. Example:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2006-January/013282.html

Let's copy one line of error like this, "nsHostResolver.h:95: error: ISO
C++ forbids declaration of `PRAddrInfo' with no type" and paste in google.
The third link in the result come up perfect.

Also search for "nsHostResolver.h:95" or "ISO C++ forbids declaration of
`PRAddrInfo' with no type" or different error lines in mailing list
archive, the second link come up perfect with a solution.

>> That line I think it should be remove.
>
> We agree on something :) The question is kind of an advanced or
> power-user type thing.

Indeed, it is not easy to make that kind of decision. I can ask my team if
I can remove that line or tweak it if one of them want to keep it.

>> Actually, your attach has never make it to the list as see a proof in
>> below link. Next time, let us know that you are sending attach in the
>> email and we will asking for re-send attach.
>
> Ah, and there lies the rub. In order to comply with the process I have to
> send an e-mail that doesn't comply with the process to notify someone
> that I
> intend to be sending another e-mail that does comply with the process.
> Oh, I
> suppose I could just paste the build log into the text of the message
> but I
> thought that compressing it would be more responsible. This is getting
> complicated.
>
> FYI: I received this reply to the original message.
>
>>> Your mail to 'freebsd-gnome' with the subject
>>>     Libsoup broke?
>>> Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.
>>> The reason it is being held:
>>>     SpamAssassin identified this message as possible spam
>
> I don't know who the list moderator is, or if you can see this type of
> stuff
> or not.

I don't think all of people in my team have the access to that. Maybe
marcus can access it or not.

>> Sorry if you think that I was rude. I just gave a straight answer. We
>> get
>
>> a lot of emails with no useful info, so our answer is getting plain and
>> plainer until they resend something useful.
>
> I hate to say it but that is a closed source attitude. With closed
> source,
> they have your money and aren't going to make any more by fixing your
> problem so they make it hard on purpose (ON PURPOSE). But with open
> source,
> the valuable commodity is the knowledge that something may be broken. The
> end user has it and the developer's don't. So the error reporting process
> should be easy, polite, helpful, as automated as possible, and designed

My first replied was very polite with provided an URL and the URL was very
easy to follow in the "2. What to report?", but you blew up with all of
those lousy excuses when you didn't know that your attach has never make
it to the list and think that I ignored it.

BTW: I asked people in IRC if I was rude to you and they said 'no'.

> accept the fact that most of the time the user doesn't know the
> difference
> between PCI and his keyboard. Bug reports that can't be reproduced or
> even
> understood should still get filed away so maybe someone very
> knowledgeable
> will someday notice a pattern.
>
> The whole reason I was having this libsoup problem is that I was trying
> update GNOME to fix a crash on startup problem. I didn't bother trying to
> report that one because I don't know enough about it to know whose
> problem
> it was. I made the mistake of clicking on the "inform developers" once,
> only
> to get a face full of "if you don't know what you are talking about,
> don't
> submit bugs..." attitude that I (obviously) hate.

There was no "if you don't know what you are talking about, don't submit
bugs..." attitude in single of my email. I only commented, "Don't bother
to send us an email if you are not planning to give us the more
informations."; it's a big difference when someone refused to give info of
very simple things such as 'uname -a', 'pkg_info' and etc as stated in the
URL[1] because of not have time or so. Turned out that your attach never
has made it to the list and you didn't tell us that you have sent an
attach until third or later email.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html

> This problem I thought was different in that it was likely just a port
> dependency issue. I've encountered those before and have always had very
> positive experiences when reporting them.

There is no way for us to able to guess which dependencies without know
what error you are getting. In end, give enough info always will get
better respone from us with no wild guess.

Anyway, we should move on.

FreeBSD GNOME Team