Libsoup broke (part deux)

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Jan 2 19:15:05 PST 2006

Re-add gnome at FreeBSD.org back in CC, do not lose that.

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:47:36 -0600, Donald Byrd <don at tig.org> wrote:

> Thanks Jeremy, but that's not gong to happen. That's the problem with
> open
> source; every user is expected to be a senior programmer.

Your wrong, same as for every closed source apps. All of us need the more
informations. You just can't call to Microsoft and tell them that your
Windows has crashed, that's it. Of course, they will asking what error are
you seeing (that one you have never show us), what is version of Windows,
what were last thing that you did to the Windows and how did you reproduce
it. Do you have to be programmer for this? No.

> I honestly don't
> have time to debug all the code I use. Maybe that sounds selfish, but if
> have no time left to use the code I debug, then there isn't any point in
> debugging it.

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html
A good bug report should at least include the following information:

	-Exact version of the operating system (usually output of uname -a).

	-List of all packages installed on your system (output of pkg_info).

	-Your environment (output of /usr/bin/env).

	-If you are building from ports, note approximately how long it has been
since you last updated your ports tree. If it has been more than a day, or
if you have not run portupgrade -a, do not bother sending a bug report
until you have run cvsup and portupgrade.

	-Information specific for each type of breakage:
		*If a port will not build, provide a full log of the unsuccessful build.

This will only taking five to ten minutes.

> I was just trying to let somebody know there was an issue.
> gnome at freebsd.org
> was listed as the caretaker for libsoap, so I dropped an e-mail and hope
> for
> the best.

That don't work well. Don't bother to send us an email if you are not
planning to give us the more informations.

> Good luck to you and thank you for all your hard work.

FreeBSD GNOME Team