While we discuss libtool (-fpic vs. -fPIC)

Mikhail Teterin mi+mxe at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Feb 28 12:31:38 PST 2006

У вт, 2006-02-28 у 15:11 -0500, Kris Kennaway пише:
> Where I said "-fPIC and not -fpic is correct on amd64 and ia64."  On
> i386 they are equivalent.  In fact now I'm not sure they're not
> equivalent on amd64 and ia64 too (in which case the current situation
> is still fine).

I don't think, they are equivalent. The lower-case variant is slightly
more efficient. It can not be used on sparc64, except for shared
libraries with very few symbols, but it is fine on other arches.

Here is a related thread at a PGSQL mailing list:

http://groups.google.com/group/pgsql.hackers/browse_thread/thread/4948c99d980ee2bd/9781cee632f281bc?lnk=st

David, in 2002 you changed bsd.lib.mk to use "fPIC" on sparc64, but left
it at "fpic" for other arches. Can you comment on the differences,
please? Thanks!

	-mi