While we discuss libtool (-fpic vs. -fPIC)

Mikhail Teterin mi+mxe at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Feb 28 11:45:05 PST 2006

У вт, 2006-02-28 у 14:24 -0500, Kris Kennaway пише:
> Not sure what you're requesting precisely, but -fPIC and not -fpic is
> correct on amd64 and ia64.

I'm requesting, libtool is changed to use `-fpic' instead of `-fPIC' on
all arches except sparc64. This is more efficient, and is what
bsd.lib.mk does:

.if !defined(PICFLAG)
.if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "sparc64"
PICFLAG=-fPIC
.else
PICFLAG=-fpic
.endif
.endif

The performance difference is slight, and is not worth chasing every
shared-library building port. But if we can improve hundreds of ports at
once by correcting libtool, we certainly should.

Yours,

	-mi