patching databases/evolution-data-server to USE_BDB

Mikhail Teterin mi+mxe at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Feb 27 14:01:17 PST 2006

У пн, 2006-02-27 у 16:39 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke пише:
> > I'm sorry, I don't understand. Currently the
> > databases/evolution-data-server builds its own version of db41. What
> > does this have to do with db3 and "evo"?
>
> This must have changed.  Back when Evolution including the components
> in e-d-s, it was building db3.  We thought it would be great to use
> the system version of db3, but this caused maintenance nightmares, and
> breakage.

It was the right idea. Getting to the bottom of the breakage would've
been the right thing to do :-( I'm testing out the newly built evolution
now -- what kind of breakage should I look for?

> It was much easier to trust the version of db3 that came with Evo.
>
> Given that, I do not want to split out bdb from e-d-s.  We have enough
> maintenance problems to deal with without adding new ones.

This is inconsistent with the sensible policy of things like firefox,
nss, and many others, and, obviously, is prone to maintainance problems
of its own. The files/patch-offical-sleepycat is a perfect example of
what I'm talking about.

Yours,

	-mi