A4 paper -- how to change??

Frank Jahnke jahnke at sonatabio.com
Tue Feb 21 21:18:23 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 21:30 -0500, Stephane E. Potvin wrote:

> Did you select the Generic Postscript printer? It's the only one that
> will give you the option to use lpr to print. You can also use a custom
> location to select a particular printer instead of the default one.

To follow up briefly, I'm still wondering why Gnome cannot print to the
CUPS printer without resorting the the work-around suggested here.  This
is not directed to you, Steph, but rather the readers of this list.  It
really ought to work using the CUPS printer.

One reason I installed CUPS was to use Wine.  There are a few Windows
applications that I use on BSD that run well under Wine.  Printing from
Wine requires CUPS.  That works fine on the KDE box, which is a back-up
machine.  But if I have to use that box for the tasks, I may as well
boot it into Windows instead (which it also has).  The whole point of
this exercise was to avoid having to use a second machine.

It does not yet work on Gnome.  I've yet to diddle with the usual Wine
things, but it looks like it requires the CUPS printer, and not lpr.  So
as it stands, it seems that Wine cannot print on Gnome unless I find a
way to work around the work-around.  That's just not how it should be,
particularly for something seemingly as trivial as a paper size.

Surely there must be a way to do this "right."

Frank