A4 paper -- how to change??

Stephane E. Potvin sepotvin at videotron.ca
Mon Feb 20 18:16:46 PST 2006

Frank Jahnke wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 18:11 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
>> I did everything I told you (but I don't use CUPS), and it worked for me.
>
> I have no explanation.
>
> Acroread7 and OO.o both use USLetter and print fine.  The cups test page
> works, as does that of the Gnome cups manager.  None of the other Gnome
> apps seem to.  I am recompiling Gnome and apps that use its libraries so
> that everything should be up-to-date as of four days ago.  This will
> take a while, as a lot of stuff has accumulated...  I'll check back
> then.
>
> Interestingly, the default selection of paper size in the two files I
> edited at your suggestion were changed back to A4.  So one of the
> programs is resetting it (any idea which one?).
>
> And thank you, Joe, for the time.  I admit this one is a bit
> frustrating, as I can't print anything important from my main computer
> at the moment, at least not from many of the applications I rely on.
>> Joe

I have the same problem with gnome and cups since gnome 2.8. I always assumed
it was a pilot error and never got around to ask directly for a solution as I
had a workaround. Just install the print/cups-lpr port with
CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes defined and you'll be able to usr lpr directly to
print in Letter instead of A4.

Steph