A4 paper -- how to change??

Frank Jahnke jahnke at sonatabio.com
Mon Feb 20 07:46:45 PST 2006

Over the weekend I changed my printing system from lpd to cups.  Most
everything works right: six computers of mixed operating systems can now
print on a remote Ethernet printer.

My problem is that many Gnome applications (such as Evince, Evolution)
insist on printing on A4 paper, and there is no option to change it to
"letter" in the print dialog boxes as was possible with lpd.  The
printer then asks to have A4 paper installed, and does not print the
job, as I have no A4 paper tray nor do I want one.

I've poked around GConf looking for an appropriate field, and have been
unable to find a default that includes A4.  The Gnome cups manager is
set to "letter."  Any advice would be most appreciated.  The computer
runs 6.0, and Gnome is a recent 2.12

Frank