ports/90388: firefox + jdk14 crashing when opening map24

Panagiotis Astithas past at ebs.gr
Mon Feb 13 05:50:08 PST 2006

The following reply was made to PR ports/90388; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Panagiotis Astithas <past at ebs.gr>
To: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org>
Cc: "Scott T. Hildreth" <shildret at fbsd1.dyndns.org>, gnome at freebsd.org,
   FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org, Frank Altpeter <frank at altpeter.de>,
   Greg Lewis <glewis at eyesbeyond.com>
Subject: Re: ports/90388: firefox + jdk14 crashing when opening map24
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:39:24 +0200

 Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

 > Scott T. Hildreth wrote:
 >> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 13:13 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
 >>
 >>> Take it up with the Firefox authors or Sun.  There is nothing that we as
 >>> port maintainers can do.
 >>   Is this firefox only, does the java plugin work with Galeon,
 >> Mozilla, ...etc.?  I guess I don't visit many Java enabled sites
 >> since I haven't noticed it.  Do you have an example URL ?
 >
 > www.map24.com will crash Firefox.  But according to Greg Lewis, the
 > interface in Firefox 1.5 changed, and this broke the JPI.  Maybe he will
 > be fixing the plug-in to work, of maybe this is something we have to
 > live with.

 There is a workaround. We can force a dependency on mozilla for the
 jdk15 port and then use the resulting plugin on firefox. This should be
 essentially what Sun does and the reason the java plugin on Windows and
 Linux still works on firefox 1.5. I have such a setup here and I've just
 verified that www.map24.com works fine with firefox.

 The caveat is that you have to keep a mozilla package installed, even if
 you have no other use for it.

 Cheers,

 Panagiotis