problems rhythmbox 0.9.3.1

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Feb 12 08:01:30 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 12:17 +0100, Suleiman Souhlal wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > Sorry, this doesn't work.  On closer inspection, all events would be
> > ignored by r-b if this was done.  I've copied Jean-Yves and Suleiman on
> > this to get their opinion.  I checked how Linux's inotify works, and
> > they have separate events for st_atime changing vs. other attributes
> > (IN_ACCESS vs. IN_ATTRIB).  Perhaps we should do something similar.
>
> Sounds like a reasonable thing to do. I'll try to implement it, by
> adding a NOTE_ACCESS knote, but I don't think this can make it to the
> 6.x branch.

Thanks for looking into the feature.  The same thought occurred to me
about merging.  This would constitute a POLA change that would probably
not be allowed in any stable branch :-(.

> > In the meantime, the best solutions I can come up with are to disable
> > NOTE_ATTRIB processing in gamin, or turn off library monitoring in
> > rhythmbox.
>
> I think the best solution would be to have a way to tell gamin which
> events we care about (I don't really know anything about gamin, so there
> may already be such a thing).

We already do that in the since we set (NOTE_WRITE | NOTE_EXTEND |
NOTE_ATTRIB | NOTE_LINK) to watch for "changed" events.  If we remove
NOTE_ATTRIB from the list, we will lose chmod/chown and touch events.

> Alternatively, you can mount your filesystem with the noatime option.

Yep.