problems rhythmbox 0.9.3.1

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat Feb 11 23:49:15 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 01:35 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 22:03 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > > gamin with WANT_FAM_SYSTEM=gamin in /etc/make.conf
> >
> > You should be setting WITH_FAM_SYSTEM in make.conf now.  In any event,
> > I'm using gamin as well.
>
> I found the problem.  Since gamin is looking at NOTE_ATTRIB for changes,
> even a file access change will trigger a FAM changed event.  And since
> such an event triggers a reload of the changed file in r-b, the
> attributes change again, and then r-b loads the file again, ... and so
> on.
>
> It seems to me r-b is being too aggressive in what it considers a
> change.  I think a good solution might be to change
> rhythmdb_check_changed_file() in rhythmdb.c to always return TRUE.  This
> will remove the "changed" file from the list of changed files, and it
> should never trigger this cycle.
>
> I'll give this a try, and let you know.

Sorry, this doesn't work.  On closer inspection, all events would be
ignored by r-b if this was done.  I've copied Jean-Yves and Suleiman on
this to get their opinion.  I checked how Linux's inotify works, and
they have separate events for st_atime changing vs. other attributes
(IN_ACCESS vs. IN_ATTRIB).  Perhaps we should do something similar.

In the meantime, the best solutions I can come up with are to disable
NOTE_ATTRIB processing in gamin, or turn off library monitoring in
rhythmbox.