firefox 2 crashing with any printing-related activity

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu Dec 14 19:56:38 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 13:50 -0800, Doug Barton wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> For some time now, I have been having a problem with firefox 2. If I
> do anything printing related (including just print preview) firefox
> Seg faults. It will send the print job to the printer first, then
> crash when the dialog closes. Here is the information you requested on
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html
>
> FreeBSD lap 7.0-CURRENT-1213 FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT-1213 #0: Wed Dec 13
> 21:36:15 PST 2006 i386
>
> This is an Intel Core 2 Duo system running i386 SMP. I'm running with
> X11BASE=/usr/local/xorg in order to help with the fixing of the ports
> prior to the move.
>
> pkg_info, env output, and gdb log are here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/env.out
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/pkg_info.out
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/gdb.log

I can't reproduce.  This stack trace is also missing four pretty
critical frames.

> Ports are up to date as of this morning, base is up to date as of last
> night.
>
> I tried this with CUPS off, and building firefox completely without
> CUPS on the system at all, and the result is the same. I've also tried
> building without using ccache.

This doesn't matter.  Have you tried _running_ Firefox without cups-base
on the system?  CUPS will (once again) be dloaded by Firefox if present.
I tried both with and without cups-base installed, and I still can't get
Firefox to crash.

I say, "once again" because we have seen a similar CUPS-related crash in
the past, and it looks like my bandaid fix was broken over the years.
If it is the same problem that we saw before, removing cups-base during
runtime should prevent the crash.  If so, we can re-patch Firefox not to
use libcups, and instead CUPS users can rely on the CUPS lpd commands to
do their printing.  It won't be as pretty, but it will at least avoid a
crash (unless someone can finally track down what the conflict is
between CUPS and Firefox).