ports/105589: Firefox 2.0 segfaults when saving more than one file per session

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Tue Dec 12 13:11:49 PST 2006

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 19:01 -0800, Micah wrote:
>> I've installed a complete Gnome system for further testing. I have
>> confirmed that gedit, eog, and epiphany (and probably any gnome based
>> app) all show the bug when launched from KDE. GIMP, PAN2, and OOo do not
>> show the bug. This was all tested from a freshly created user account
>> with an initially empty home directory. The bug does not show up while
>> in a Gnome session (not sure how Indigo managed a crash - maybe he was
>> running some KDE software in his Gnome session?) It appears to be a
>> general Gnome/KDE incompatibility and has nothing to do with the Gecko
>> applications directly.
>
> I have isolated the cause of the crash.  The problem stems from KDE
> setting XDG_DATA_DIRS in the environment.  It sets a value with two
> instances of /usr/local/share.  This seems to cause memory corruption,
> and leads to a crash.  If you reset XDG_DATA_DIRS
> to :/usr/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/X11R6/share:/usr/X11R6/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/gnome Firefox will no longer crash.
>
> This is a two-part bug.  KDE is clearly setting a bad value.  It should
> be adding /usr/local/share/gnome to the XDG_DATA_DIRS, but instead it
> duplicates an element.  Even so, XDG should not add a duplicate element.
>
> Joe

Wow! Thanks for keeping at this!

Running from an environment with XDG_DATA_DIRS set properly does seem to
fix both firefox and gedit.

So my question now is what next? Do I (or someone) need to file a PR
against kde-xdg-env? And I'm not clear on "XDG should not add a
duplicate element," who has responsibility for fixing that? (I'm having
trouble tracking down XDG as anything other than the former name of
freedesktop.org)

Thanks!
Micah