ports/105589: Firefox 2.0 segfaults when saving more than one file per session

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Wed Dec 6 11:41:06 PST 2006

The following reply was made to PR ports/105589; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Micah <micahjon at ywave.com>
To: Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/105589: Firefox 2.0 segfaults when saving more than one
 file per session
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 11:04:22 -0800

 Jeremy Messenger wrote:
 > I still can't reproduce it. I think, it might be something in the
 > between of KDE vs libgnome or something else. Perhaps, you can try to
 > run "/usr/local/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &" before you run firefox
 > in KDE to see if it will help. It doesn't make any sense to me, because
 > there is no problem in Fluxbox.
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Mezz

 Any hope of getting this bug reopened? There are now more people
 reporting it and more backtraces to examine.

 I've followed the execution through kdbg and Firefox segfaults when
 executing line 583 of mozilla/widget/src/gtk2/nsFilePicker.cpp:

 gint response = gtk_dialog_run (GTK_DIALOG (file_chooser));

 Indicating it's either a GTK bug or Firefox isn't prepping the
 file_chooser properly. I haven't been able to follow the execution past
 that point (not sure how to setup my environment for that). Since the
 problems cropped up in thunderbird and firefox after the gnome upgrade,
 it's probably a mozilla/gtk incompatibility. BTW, before the segfault
 the debugger shows my stacktrace as being the same (up-to that point) as
 the ones Indigo posted, but after the segfault the trace is shorter -
 probably means the stack is getting trashed by the bug.

 I tried to test the uninstall libgnome fix to see how it's affecting
 firefox. Running firefox without libgnome causes libimgicon.so and
 libmozgnome.so to fail to load. I removed first alternately then both
 libimgicon and libmozgnome while libgnome was still installed, but
 firefox still crashed, so the problem is not in either of those libraries.

 Debian /may/ be seeing a similar bug, but I couldn't find any followup
 info on it: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=399406

 Lastly, I'm almost done doing a portupgrade -af just in case there's
 something wrong with the /usr/ports/UPDATING instructions for the gnome
 upgrade. The majority of software has been rebuilt - but firefox still
 shows the bug. There's not much else I can do without help from someone
 more knowledgeable in firefox/gtk.

 - Micah