Preferences slow to appear

Kiffin Gish kiffin.gish at planet.nl
Sat Aug 5 13:06:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 08:54 -0400, Christian Lopez de Castilla Wagner
wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 12:00 +0000, freebsd-gnome-request at freebsd.org
> wrote:
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 18:56:05 -0500 (CDT)
> > From: "Tim Welch" <twelch at thepentagon.org>
> > Subject: Preferences slow to appear
> > To: gnome at freebsd.org
> >

> >   With almost any GNOME application, opening the preferences window
> > seems
> > to take around 80-90% cpu (from gkrellm) and freeze GNOME for
> > approximately 2-3 seconds on my machine. Everything from gnome-weather
> > to xchat does it. There are no strange themes or other oddities about
> > my
> > setup. I've tried a clean user as well.
> >   I also notice a distinct pause whenever rhythmbox changes tracks. It
> > lags the mouse cursor and any video output (i.e.. moving a window
> > while
> > the track is changing will blur that window, then reappear normally
> > after rhythmbox is done).
> >   What could possibly cause these? Some slowness with whatever library
> > reads gconf is all I can think of for the preferences problem, but
> > what
> > about rhythmbox?
> >
> > System Stats: P4 2.8Ghz HT, 2GB ram, SATA drives on an intel 875
> > chipset
> > Freebsd 6.1-STABLE from ~ July 23, 2006
> > Latest ports as of Aug. 1st
> >
> > -Tim
>

> There's been trouble with this since we got 2.14.
> One thing to try is to rebuild all of GNOME + Dependencies (This has
> worked for me)
> An easier way is to search the mailing list. There should be a tip about
> rebuilding your icon cache (Look at May/June, maybe earlier). If this
> doesn't work, rebuild.
> I'd like to be more precise about the icon cache, but I'm running late
> once again and can't search for it myself.
>
> Good luck.

I had the same problem when I upgraded from 2.12 to 2.14, and after many
frustrating days attempting to fix the problem I just gave up and
rebuild all of Gnome. After that everything was fine.

--
Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish at planet.nl>