Preferences slow to appear

Christian Lopez de Castilla Wagner lopisaur at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 12:50:54 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 12:00 +0000, freebsd-gnome-request at freebsd.org
wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 18:56:05 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "Tim Welch" <twelch at thepentagon.org>
> Subject: Preferences slow to appear
> To: gnome at freebsd.org
>

>   With almost any GNOME application, opening the preferences window
> seems
> to take around 80-90% cpu (from gkrellm) and freeze GNOME for
> approximately 2-3 seconds on my machine. Everything from gnome-weather
> to xchat does it. There are no strange themes or other oddities about
> my
> setup. I've tried a clean user as well.
>   I also notice a distinct pause whenever rhythmbox changes tracks. It
> lags the mouse cursor and any video output (i.e.. moving a window
> while
> the track is changing will blur that window, then reappear normally
> after rhythmbox is done).
>   What could possibly cause these? Some slowness with whatever library
> reads gconf is all I can think of for the preferences problem, but
> what
> about rhythmbox?
>
> System Stats: P4 2.8Ghz HT, 2GB ram, SATA drives on an intel 875
> chipset
> Freebsd 6.1-STABLE from ~ July 23, 2006
> Latest ports as of Aug. 1st
>
> -Tim

There's been trouble with this since we got 2.14.
One thing to try is to rebuild all of GNOME + Dependencies (This has
worked for me)
An easier way is to search the mailing list. There should be a tip about
rebuilding your icon cache (Look at May/June, maybe earlier). If this
doesn't work, rebuild.
I'd like to be more precise about the icon cache, but I'm running late
once again and can't search for it myself.

Good luck.
--
Christian Lopez de Castilla Wagner
lopisaur at gmail.com