can no longer "make index" when merging marcuscom ports

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Wed Sep 21 17:47:26 PDT 2005

Sometime in the past few days, I've stopped being able to run a "make
index" after merging the marcuscom ports module w/ a freshly cvsup'd ports
tree. It had worked for me before post-Gnome 2.12's inclusion but now I
get the following error. If I cvsup ports without running marcusmerge, I
can "make index" just fine. I am on FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p1

Generating INDEX-5 - please wait.."/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gnome.mk", line 585: warning:
The USE_GNOME=yes component is deprecated. It should be replaced by some
combination of gnomeprefix, gnomehack, and gtkhtml
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gnome.mk", line 720: Inconsistent operator for
post-install make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue ===>
audio/timidity++ failed
*** Error code 1
1 error

Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  (INDEX builds are
not supported with partial or out-of-date ports collections -- in
particular, if you are using cvsup, you must cvsup the "ports-all"
collection, and have no "refuse" files.)  If that is the case, then
report the failure to ports at FreeBSD.org together with relevant
details of your ports configuration (including FreeBSD version,
your architecture, your environment, and your /etc/make.conf
settings, especially compiler flags and WITH/WITHOUT settings).

Note: the latest pre-generated version of INDEX may be fetched
automatically with "make fetchindex".

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1