ports/72014: Eclipse doesn't work (SigBus 10) if it has been built with GTK

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Sep 2 10:22:45 PDT 2005

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 04:40:15 -0500, Panagiotis Astithas <past at ebs.gr>
wrote:

> I'm forwarding this to the people who are responsible for this.
>
> Daniel Roethlisberger wrote:
>> I have just double checked on my pentium-m box, I can confirm that
>> adding -mno-sse2 does solve the problem for me (at least as far as I can
>> tell, as there is no definitive way to reproduce the problem).
>>  Compiling x11-toolkits/gtk20 with CPUTYPE?=pentium-m and CFLAGS=-O
>> -pipe
>> results in an unstable eclipse, while compiling gtk20 with the same
>> CPUTYPE but CFLAGS=-O -pipe -mno-sse2 saves the day, giving me a stable
>> eclipse.
>>  Can we add some kind of -mno-sse2 hack to the GTK port for the time
>> being, or is there a better solution?
>

> Some background:
>
> In PR ports/72014 it was reported a long time ago that eclipse/gtk
> crashes and this was tracked down to non-standard compiler optimizations
> when building gtk. There have been similar bug reports filed against the
> eclipse and gcc bug databases. Some gcc people have tracked it down to
> incorrect stack alignment (see ports/72014 for the pointers) and have
> received reports that using -mno-sse2 fixed it. Daniel has verified that
> this seems to help our case also.

It's a nice find the locate that SSE2 is causing the problem.
Mono/gtk-sharp have the same problems and we always have to tell them to
not tweak the CPUTYPE. After look at our PR and GCC's PRs, looks like
might be either GCC or our libc bug.

> Therefore the question is, should we force -mno-sse2 to the compiler
> flags for the gtk ports? I would expect less bug reports from people who
> compile gtk apps with non-standard CFLAGS, at least.

It's good idea, I would like to add -mno-sse2 too. Here's patch, so let me
know if I don't understand it correct or/and my English isn't right.

http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/diff/gtk20.diff

Keep in mind, this patch is for MC. After that go in MC and I will put in
offical one too.

> Cheers,
>
> Panagiotis

FreeBSD GNOME Team