Remote Desktop Connection Woes

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Wed Oct 19 14:29:20 PDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:43:48 +0530
Remington L <mrl0lz at gmail.com> wrote:

> All:
> I am looking for a way to VNC or to connect to my FreeBSD laptop,
> running Xorg and GNOME. I can ssh into, but I do not have access to
> GNOME.
>
> My question is, I know I cannot use VNC because I use Xorg. Does
> anyone have any suggestions?

Hello,

As others said, you can use VNC with Xorg. See the ports.

However,  if you want to share with VNC a display that is already
active, for example the Gnome desktop you are working on, you can try
'net/x11vnc' (other VNC servers open a new display).

IIRC Gnome (and/or KDE) has an utility to share the desktop, based on
VNC.

Best Regards,
Ale